Friday, August 8, 2008

The vacation...

My friend Steph and I needed to get away and just have some girlfriend time. The last time we went on vacation together was when Mr. J was about a year old. He turned 8 this last weekend. It had been way too long.
So we packed up and headed to Panama City Beach, Florida. Oh my goodness. It was beautiful. Hurricane Dolly kept us out of the water, but we laid on the beach, walked in the sand, relaxed by the pool. Anything and everything you could want on a vacation. :)
We rented a car at the airport and, thankfully, it had "Marge". Marge is what we called the GPS system, we figured she would be with us all weekend we needed to give her a nice name. :) We turned Marge on and left the airport...not following her directions. It took us about 15 minutes to finally figure out that Marge really did know where she was going and we needed to listen to her and not read off the map we had printed. I know you are laughing at us, but I know some of you out there have done the exact same thing. We were laughing so hard and the trip had just begun.
We finally made it to the hotel, got checked in, went exploring, and then dinner. We did not plan on eating dinner when we did, but all of a sudden we both realized that breakfast in Texas had long since been gone. We ate at the hotel and then we went to Wal-Mart to pick up some food for the week. We had a kitchen so we had plans to only eat out once a day. Wal-Mart on the beach in Florida was very interesting. I don't know if it's because it's on the beach that people don't put on clothing, but some of them should have and others were fine. lol, people watching is so much fun.
We got back to the hotel, went to the front desk to ask about renting movies and they had a free movie rental in the lobby. SWEET. We rented our first movie, took it upstairs, poured ourselves something to drink and started watching the movie. We made it, maybe, 15 minutes into the movie and took it back. This movie shall forever remain nameless. *shudders* We ended up watching a total of 7 movies while we were there. It was awesome.
The next few days were pretty much the same...get up...get dressed...go to the beach...come in...eat lunch...go shopping or back to the beach...then come back...shower...go eat...come home...watch a movie...go to bed...it was wonderful.
We did decide to rent jet-skies and take the trip to Shell Island. Steph and I decided that we both wanted to ride our own so we rented 2 and headed out with the tour guide and another group of people. It was all fine and dandy until my jet ski started beeping at me with the big red *WARNING* lights. I yelled to the guide and he told me it was fine, just push such and such button and everything would be fine. I was a bit nervous, but did it and the beeping stopped. Problem solved...NOT. We made it to Shell Island and the beeping started again. So the guide said he would check it when we finished walking around the island. When we finished our tour he just said he would ride the one I was on so I didn't worry. Well it broke down on him while he was riding it...go figure. So Steph and I had to ride back together on one jet ski....we laughed so hard...I even fell off at one point. We didn't get over 10 miles an hour, but when we did I would almost fly off the back again. It was so much fun. Our bodies hurt the next day.
All in all it was a wonderful trip. I can't wait for our next one. Hope everyeone had a wonderful day.

2 comments:

Criss said...

Ah, life on the beach...
My wife works at the beach Walmart.
You wouldn't believe what all goes on there.

Dena said...

lol, oh I don't even want to imagine. Some of the things I saw there will haunt me forever. ~shivers~